Federation issue with Mastodon (nothing getting out of the instance)

Hi team

Just reporting that there is an issue with the Indie Host Mastodon instance.
It seems like nothing has been getting out of the instance in the last 8 days.

My profile page does show all my recent toots, but when looking at my profile from other instances (like Mamot.fr, using version 2.4.1, and Framapiaf.org, using version 2.4.2), nothing has been leaving the Indie Host instance since the 20th of June. I have received no reactions, the replies I’ve written have not been received by others… Another example is that I get a notification that someone started following me, but they see it as “waiting for approval” even though I don’t require approval, which means that the signal is not sent back to them.

Maybe the fact that we are still at version 2.3.3 is the reason? I know it’s not very old (released in March) but I’m thinking why that might be.

Cheers

(I should probably link to a previous issue with our Mastodon instance’s Federation: [mastodon] problem with federation )

Updated to latest, let me know if it fixes :slight_smile:

Thank you Pierre, that fixed it, as you’ve seen with the replies to your toot :slight_smile:

Loving all the recent developments in the Fediverse, very exciting! Looking forward to more Indie Hosters joining our instance :+1:

Hi Pierre and everyone

It looks like the issue is back, so it might not be anything to do with versions.

It seems nothing has come out of our instance for the last 4 days. Do the logs reveal anything?

Cheers

Hi @pierreozoux and team

Unfortunately, the issue remains. No one in the Fediverse can see what happens on mastodon.indie.host since 10 days ago.

I know it isn’t the most widely used service on Indie Hosters (only 20 accounts on the instance), and you probably have bigger priorities, but if the maintainers don’t use it and can’t have a look at the logs to figure out what might be the issue shortly after it is reported, maybe you should consider removing that service?

I don’t want to sound nasty or anything, it really isn’t a big problem in the grand scheme of things, but I’d like to know if I should move my account to another instance, and I genuinely think that it might be better for everyone to remove Mastodon from the Indie Hosters packages. What do you think?

@stragu yep sorry about that those last weeks have been quite busy… we are migrating our current infrastructure and that takes some energy :slight_smile:
I’m updating the mastodon instance and it should be fixed, get back to you very soon

Thank you for the reply, @unteem.

Could you see what the issue was from the logs? Because it looks like it might not be related to the version of the software (but a software update “restarts” it all and everything works as expected).

Getting some news through the blog or via the Nextcloud notifications would be great too! If I had seen that you were busy with this migration business (I checked Mastodon, Twitter, the Nextcloud notifications and the blog – nothing on there for quite a while), I would have been less worried.

Just my thoughts. Thanks again.

I did not spend much time investigating, I went for the update :slight_smile: but I think it came from the streaming service which was not running properly.

Let me know if its working fine now.

I know I know, we are very bad at this, me even more than anyone who has been working on IndieHosters and as currently its mostly me running IndieHosters… you had to guess what is going on…

I’ll do my best to post an update in the coming days because actually many things happened with some great news. Its an important year for IndieHosters :slight_smile:

Right, I had no idea you were the main maintainer now!
Thank you for the replies.
Looking forward to reading the update! :slight_smile:

…and yes, people outside the instance see us again! Cheers.