Connection to server failed when trying to send an email

I haven’t been able to send an email today. From Thunderbird, I get the following:

Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to Outgoing server (SMTP) mail.indie.host failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again.

On cloud.indie.host, I get “server error” when I try to send.

I have the same issue on different networks.

In the last couple of months, the services like Mastodon, Nextcloud (i.e. backup, calendar and tasks) and Discourse have been available about half the time, which is frustrating, but I can live with it. However, if I can’t use my email account for a few days, I will unfortunately have to change providers as it is a crucial service.

What can I do to help troubleshoot?

1 J'aime

SMTP is back, I can now receive and send again.

When you say discourse, you mean forum.indie.host? Other than on the night of the 29th of June 2019-06-29 when we had a long downtime, this service has a 99% uptime

Yes, I meant the forum (which I assume uses Discourse, right?)

There something very odd then, because most of the time I try to access cloud.indie.host, I get an error. Forum and Mastodon have also been very unreliable lately.

Any way I can figure out what’s happening? Should I collect the error pages and date/times?

Hi @stragu !

Yes, collect them and send to us. So we can see if it correspond to maintenance time, updates…

We manage updates in french time (5 to 10 AM), maybe some little downtime in theses periods but takes 1 or 2 minutes maximum.

Maybe the connexion, proxy or dns… Specific Australian configuration ?