Ok, you are now a member.
Your post resonates with me, in many directions, and I’ll first try to explain where we are, before trying to draft where we can go together, from my point of view.
In term of org, IH changed a lot lately. We are now around 11 people, representing something like 5 full time. So I’ll explain my point of view, but other people have a different point of view
French vs English
2 Years ago, we decided to focus on France and French, and today I really think it was a nice thing to do. But indeed, our forum is still both
Today, our french website is hosted on https://indiehosters.net/ but as we are mainly discussing about the service we are offering: Liiibre, it might be a bit confusing.
In one hand, the IndieHosters collective is trying to offer a unified collaborative experience between various FLOSS tools, and in the other hand, many different orgs ask for specifics.
So the collective is currently doing a bit of custom, trying to make it standard for everybody.
We currently have this tension, and I’m not sure we’ll be able to resolve it one day.
6 month cycle - Strategy
We just spent a week together to plan the next 6 months. And we didn’t discuss about git at all. And I don’t see myself going to the team to discuss the topic you just mentioned. This is a calendar mismatch Sorry about that.
On top of the calendar mismatch, we had this lengthy discussion last 6 month cycle. What do we do with GitLab. And I have the feeling we are not yet entirely happy with the decision. I’ll try to recap here the decision we took, for my colleagues also
We currently host 3 GitLabs:
We understand that it is too much, too much resources, for not that much repos.
I understand the dedicated instance, IndieWeb style, to own your land, domain name and so on.
We currently do the FLOSS part of our work under the libreho.st umbrella, we think it is a better idea than under our own domain. It might be better for other orgs to come collaborate under a « neutral » area.
(But I’m not 100% percent convinced by this argument)
We couldn’t « resell » individual account under the libreho.st domain, that’s why we have our own GitLab instance.
And Libreho.st needs some git repos as well.
So until now, we didn’t have time, but I think we could get rid of the libreho.st instance.
And we also have this internal debate of GitLab vs Gitea vs sourcehut…
From my point of view, we do need git, issues, PR reviews, maybe kanban, CI, and artifact repositories (container and helm at the moment).
GitLab provides all of this in one place.)
So we currently have an internal agreement for the coming months about this current setup, but it is not frozen for the coming years.
In an ideal world
In my ideal world, and we discussed about this during the camp, IndieHosters could be fluid to accept such collaboration proposals.
We identified 2 main areas in our team. The « tech » and the « contribution ».
The « contribution » team is in « front » with organization asking our service, or asking « special » services.
The tech part is more on the backend.
What I understand and I wasn’t conscious before, is that if we welcome people in our project, this is mental charge for all the people of the current team.
What I also understand, and I didn’t before, it is that it is better to focus, than trying to solve everybody’s problems.
So, as you present your proposal, I see 3 things that are not currently aligned:
- you want to offer Gitea, and we currently offer GitLab
- your colleague doesn’t speak French (is he German or interested to develop this in Germany? I live in Germany, and I’d like to meet people there, to eventually start IndieHosters in Germany )
- you are 2 new people for the team to get familiar with, and it doesn’t seem you’ll bring us closer to parity (we try hard on this topic as well)
But, yeah, in an ideal world, we dedicate a bit of resources on our side to help you get started, you do your project a bit independently, and little by little we build a new sustainable offer for you and for us.
For the next 6 months, I propose the following:
- if we hear people asking for Gitea, we’ll come to you to discuss
- if you hear people that need Gitea, and maybe the rest of our offer, you come to us to discuss
- on the technical stack, we are on kubernetes/minio, we are working on releasing a package (in the coming 6 months I think), so if we want to collaborate on the technical level, it seems to me that you’ll have to learn this stack (and we can discuss how)
- but anyhow, I’d love to have an hour call with you in the coming months to discuss this and other topics
- and I’ll share this with the rest of the team, so that we’ll all be aware of this possibility and we’ll discuss this more seriously in the next 6 months meetings, which will be end of august
Another possibility is to discuss about this with meet.coop, I’m sure there are some people interested to do git.coop!